TDS on courier charges – Section 194C of Income Tax Act
February 11, 2022|
6 mins read
TDS on courier charges is required to be deducted under Section 194C of Income Tax Act 1961.
Rate and Amount for deduction of TDS
The rate of TDS is as under: –
- TDS shall be deducted @ following rates under section 194C of Income Tax Act depending on whether the payee is an Individual/ HUF or other than Individual/ HUF:
- Credit/ Payment is made to an Individual/ HUF – 1%
- Credit/Payment is made to a person other than an Individual/ HUF – 2%
- No Surcharge and Higher Education Cess (“HEC”) shall be added to the above-mentioned rates.
- TDS @ 20% shall be deducted where the payee does not provide the PAN number to the deductor.
TDS on courier charges shall be deducted on invoice value, excluding the value of GST (if such value is mentioned separately in the invoice) – Circular No. 23/ 2017. However, TDS shall be deducted on whole of the invoice value (if value of GST is not mentioned separately in the invoice) – Circular No. 23/ 2017
Exemption from tax deduction u/s 194C of Income Tax Act
- Where the amount credited/ paid does not exceed Rs. 30,000 in a single transaction. Further, no TDS shall be deducted, where the amount or aggregate of amounts credited/ paid during the FY does not exceed Rs. 1,00,000.
- Where consideration paid by an individual or HUF is on account of personal purpose.
- Payment made to Non-Resident contractor shall not attract TDS under section 194C of Income Tax Act. However, it shall be governed by provisions of Section 195
Time of deducting TDS on courier charges
The time when TDS is required to be deducted is earlier of the following two events –
- Credit of such sum to the account of payee; or
- Payment in cash or by way of issue of cheque/ draft/ any other mode
For Full text of Section 194C of Income Tax Act, please refer this link
Explore our Full detailed Article on TDS.
TDS on courier charges is required to be deducted under Section 194C of Income Tax Act 1961 at the rate of 1% or 2% (as the case may be) for payments to residents.
- TDS on maintenance charges
- TDS on repair and maintenance
- TDS on transport contractors – Section 194C
- TDS on car hire charges
- TDS on AMCs (Annual Maintenance Charges)
- TDS on Advertisement Agencies
- TDS on catering services
- TDS on courier charges
- TDS on job work
- TDS on security services
- TDS on labour charges
- TDS on payment to transporter
- TDS on courier service